Sunday, July 23, 2006

Sun Down

Today I heard a fantastic cover of "“House of the Rising Sun"” originally done by The Animals. It was so good didn't realize it was a cover until I started singing along. I was like, "“How do I know the words?"” It, in case you were wondering, was Tracey Chapman covering the song. Some think covers are for no talent hacks that can't write their own songs. This is so no so. It takes great talent to take someone else'’s words and make them their own. A few examples come to mind, Madonna'’s "“Music"” is mediocre at best but a punk group, (Out of Your Mouth), made it sound a bit like the group Orgy, gothic and smeared. Al Green'’s song "Take me to The River"” was never a hit when he sang it, (even though his version, in my opinion, is the best version), was made asomeonehit by someon else because he put his own dig onto it. Metallica, (yes I'’m still angry with Lars), did a great cover of "Turn the Page." I used to think of buddy on his tour bus now I think of prostitutes, thanks. I think it's safe to say that the great covers list is huge as more and more artists can now get exposure via the Internet. However, I need to mention 2 of my all time favorite covers. KoRn covered Vanilla Ice'’s "“Ice Ice Baby"” and it is fantabulous. And I think it'’s more than safe to say that the best cover I'’ve ever heard came from an unlikely source, Johnny Cash himself did a cover. Now it'’s no stretch to say that I more than like Johnny Cash, I really do think living in the middle of nowhere turned me into a hick. It's odd but genius that he covered Nine Inch Nails, Trent Reznor's voice can be as miserable as a fresh prisoner at shower time. When I listen to "Hurt"” sung by Johnny Cash it sounds suicidal, but, I know that's not what the song'’s about. It'’s just pure gold, and not that crap they guard at Fort Knoleprechaunse magical gold that Lepracons have. Why is the Lep's gold better? Hello, it'’s at the end of a rainbow people, and FYI, those Skittles commercials are totally not believable. I hope they realize that or someone’s getting fired on Monday when this hits the press.

No comments: